Does OSHA require a hook with a safety latch for an overhead lift? It’s a question we can’t get away from, because there is no clear answer from any industry organization or regulating authority.
In this podcast we cover:
- Why are there different stances on safety latches? (1:25)
- What specifically does OSHA say about a hook with a safety latch? (2:09)
- With OSHA and ASME around, why is there confusion? (2:50)
- Best practices for a hook with a safety latch (3:53)
We also cover:
- What is the Mazzella Companies stance on latches? (4:32)
- Do our guys think the OSHA policy is clear enough? (5:11)
- How do “should” and “shall” affect our industry? (6:23)
- What can you do to determine whether or not you should put a safety latch on your hook? (7:19)
Need to schedule a rigging inspection or have some questions before you do? Contact a Lifting Specialist to schedule a consultation.