Today, we are talking about the legal ramifications of building your own lifting devices and rigging equipment, and why ASME has specific standards in place for the creation of a below-the-hook device.
We are joined by a few lifting experts from Caldwell Lifting Solutions, one of the leading manufacturers of below-the-hook lifting solutions, as well as Mazzella‘s Kevin Brewer, Below-the-Hook Sales Specialist, to discuss why the devices you are currently using, if not made to very specific ASME standards, may put you at legal risk and open up your company to OSHA fines.
Prefer to watch? You can watch this podcast on the Lifting & Rigging YouTube Channel.
- Why Are Engineered Below-the-Hook Devices Better than Homemade Devices?
- ASME B30.20 and ASME BTH-1 are the two most important standards when it comes to the design and markings of a below-the-hook lifting device. What Makes My Below-the-Hook Lifting Device OSHA Compliant?
- ASME B30.20-2021: Updates & Revisions to the Below-The-Hook Standard
- Special consideration must be given to the environment it will be used in, the type of load it will be lifting, and how often it will be used. 7 Things You Should Know Before Buying a Below-the-Hook Lifting Device
- A review of the applicable ASME B30.20 and ASME BTH-1 standards and acceptable markings for older below-the-hook lifting devices. Identification & Markings for Older Below-the-Hook Lifting Devices
Download your FREE checklist and Design Sheet: Things to Consider When Designing a Custom Lifting Device Checklist & Design Sheet
Listen to more podcasts on BTH devices: What You Should Know Before Buying a Below-the-Hook Lifting Device
Schedule Remote or In-Person Rigging Training
Contact Mazzella’s Rigging Division
Subscribe wherever you listen!
In This Podcast:
0:00 – Intro
0:48 – What is considered a homemade below-the-hook lifting device?
1:23 – Can in-house engineers design lifting devices for your needs?
3:23 – What are the consequences of using a homemade below-the-hook lifting device?
4:27 – What are the ASME requirements for BTH lifting devices?
7:06 – Why would someone want to build their own lifting device?
8:09 – The importance of properly planning a lift
9:56 – Can a lifting device engineered in-house become certified?
11:02 – What is the process of creating a certified below-the-hook lifting device?
13:47 – How does insurance play a role in the creation of a lifting device?
14:43 – How does lifting training impact liability with an accident?
15:50 – What are the worst lifting devices you’ve seen in the field?
17:52 – Have your design built by a certified professional
20:34 – What if you don’t have the budget to replace all your homemade below-the-hook lifting devices?
22:39 – How does duty cycle affect a lifting device?
23:33 – How to contact Caldwell Lifting Solutions
24:04 – Learn more about below-the-hook lifting devices
Copyright 2023. Mazzella Companies.