Explore the future of wind energy and the lifting industry: challenges and adaptations ahead. Hear from industry experts at The Crosby Group and Mazzella on how the lifting industry is evolving to meet the increasing demands of wind turbines. Learn about the challenges of moving turbines offshore in the US. Listen now!
The demand for wind energy is growing. The size of turbines is growing. Wind energy is forcing the lifting industry to evolve. So, how will the lifting industry adapt to the increasing size of these turbines? What challenges does the US face as they begin to move their turbines off-shore?
To shed some light on this industry and what the future has in store, we sat down with The Crosby Group’s Director of Business Development for Wind, Ken Milligan. As well as Mazzella’s National Account Manager for Specialty Ropes, Tyler Henley, and Specialty Ropes Service Manager, Jason Kuhlman.
Prefer to watch? You can watch this podcast on the Lifting & Rigging YouTube Channel.
Ken Milligan, Director of Business Development for Wind at The Crosby Group.
Tyler Henley, National Account Manager for Specialty Ropes at Mazzella
Jason Kuhlman, Specialty Ropes Service Manager at Mazzella
- A Brief Mobile Cranes Glossary: Basic Terms You Should Know
- What’s the Verton EVEREST SpinPod, & How Does It Make Lifts Safer?
- Maintaining control of your load during an overhead lift is critical to a safe, successful rigging plan. Considerations for Maintaining Load Control When You Rig Your Next Lift.
- How Can You Prepare for a Crane Rope Installation? What Can You Expect from a Mazzella Crane Rope Installation?
- Wire rope is a complex piece of mechanical machinery with a number of different specifications and properties that can affect its performance and service life. What Is Wire Rope? Understanding the Specifications and Construction
- How Much Does an ASME-Compliant Third-Party Crane Rope Inspection Cost? What is the Cost of a Third-Party Crane Rope Inspection?
- What Should I Consider When Thinking of Going With a Third-Party Crane Ropes Installer? Why Should a Third-Party Company Install Your Crane Ropes?
- What is ASME B30.30, and How Does It Apply to Wire Rope Inspection
- Under normal conditions, machines receive periodic inspections, and their overall condition is recorded—including the drums and sheaves. Inspection of Wire Rope Sheaves and Drums
Lifting & Rigging Best Practices Infographic
Lifting & Rigging Site Assessment Guide
Schedule Remote or In-Person Rigging Training
Contact Mazzella’s Rigging Division
Subscribe wherever you listen!
In this Podcast:
0:00 – Intro
0:48 – How has the demand for wind energy grown with the repower tax credit?
1:48 – How is the repower tax credit challenging the lifting industry?
3:26 – What does the near future hold for wind farms?
3:55 – How does the repower tax credit force innovation in the lifting industry?
5:28 – How is the wind industry affecting sales within the lifting and rigging industry?
6:53 – How does the wind industry affect training and inspections?
7:48 – What challenges to safety are presented by the wind industry?
10:06 – What challenges do off-shore wind farms pose for the industry?
11:15 – What innovations are spawning to overcome the obstacles within wind farm construction?
15:57 – Does the US have the infrastructure for offshore wind farms?
19:02 – What regulations will offshore wind face in the US?
19:54 – What predictions are there for future tax credits for wind?
21:33 – What does the future of the wind industry look like?
23:12 – How has renewable energy affected the lifting industry?
25:49 – Learn more about Crosby Wind Developments
26:09 – How to learn more